Fun Facts of Tobago
Just South of Little Tobago on a dive site called Kelleston Drain lies the largest recorded brain coral in the world, measuring 10ft by 16ft to see a picture click here
Inhabitants of Tobago are called Tobagonians, Inhabitants of Trinidad are Trinidadians
Tobago was the location of the book "Robinson Crusoe" by Daniel Defoe, and is also believed to be the place Robert Louis Stevenson had in mind when he wrote Treasure Island.
Tobago took it's name from it's resemblance to a tobacco pipe, or "tavaco" used by local natives.
The Caribbean Steel Pan, famous for music throughout the Islands was invented here.
Tobago has changes hands more than any other Caribbean Island, around 30 times before the English finally settled in 1814
was first found off the west coast of Trinidad in 1866, but production did not
begin until 1908.
The language is English but a French patois is sometimes used. The currency of Trinidad and Tobago is the TT dollar as seen here and gained independence in 1962.
Trinidad is the larger of the two islands. It consists of 95% of the land mass and Tobago the other 5%.
The climate is hot and humid. Temperature is 78% daily; but a little cooler on Tobago.
There is an airport on each island , two daily newspapers, a television station and two major radio stations.
Trinidad and Tobago are known for creating the dances called limbo and calypso.
The official language is Trinidad English - English with influences of French and Spanish.
Port of Spain is the capital of Trinidad
Trinidad &Tobago people call themselves Trinis.
The taxis seat 9-25 people, called a Maxi Taxi.
The literacy rate is 97% higher than the U.S. Every adult can read and write.
Most cars in Trinidad &Tobago are Japanese or German.
The police number is 999, 990 for an ambulance & fire.
The people of Trinidad & Tobago say grace before they eat, they are very religious.
The law requires all children to go to school for only six years.
David Attenborough filmed past of his epic series "Trials of Life" on Little Tobago
Jacques Cousteau filmed the reefs around Tobago
The film "Swiss Family
Robinson was shot on location here
weeks to shoot at a cost of $4.5 million. It took five months to build the necessary sets and incidental objects on
the island, including the wreckage, which was built on scaffolding at sea, with
It took five months to build the necessary sets and incidental objects on the island, including the wreckage, which was built on scaffolding at sea, with divers participating.“It was absolutely real shooting,” says Annakin, “something which appealed to me very much because of my documentary beginnings. I liked shooting exteriors. I think it gives much more satisfaction to the audience in the end, and in this case I wanted to keep very much away from the original version that was made by RKO (in 1940), which we ran at Disney. It was a good picture, but you could feel the restriction of them having to work in a tank.”
Islanders have their own unique dialect. Here are some examples:
Accommodation ~ Activities ~ Beaches ~ Calendar ~ Diving ~ Ecology ~ Exploring ~ Fun Facts